Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY, May 2015 Masters of Public Health, Health Policy and Management, Rosenfield Scholar in Sexual and Reproductive Health
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, May 2013 PhD, English Literature
University of Oxford, Magdalen College, United Kingdom, June 2008 Master of Studies in English Literature
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, May 2007 B.A. with Honors in English and Minor in Psychology, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Gorman, Sara E. Modern Medicine: Conspiracy Theories and Distrust in the 21st Century. Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2024.
Gorman, Sara E. and Jack M. Gorman. Denying to the Grave: Why We Ignore the Science That Will Save Us. Oxford University Press, 2021.
Gorman, Sara E. and Jack M. Gorman. Denying to the Grave: Why We Ignore the Facts That Will Save Us. Oxford University Press, 2016.
Gorman, Sara E. and Jack M. Gorman. “Using Data to Stem the Tide of Gun Violence in the U.S.” Psychology Today (May 2, 2022), https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/denying-the-grave/202205/using-data-stem-the-tide-gun-violence-in-the-us.
Gorman, Sara E. “This Might Hurt a Little: Finding Common Ground in Vaccine Hesitancy.” Mediawell (February 17, 2021), https://mediawell.ssrc.org/expert-reflections/finding_common_ground_in_vaccine_hesitancy/.
Gorman S, Gorman J. The Social Psychiatry and Neurobiology of Intergroup Conflict. Islamophobia and Psychiatry: Recognition, Prevention, and Treatment, ed. H. Steven Moffic, John Peteet, Ahmed Zaharia Hankir, Rania Awaad. Springer International, 2019.
Gorman S, Currier J, Beckerman KP, Hall E. Women’s issues. Comprehensive Textbook of AIDS Psychiatry: A Paradigm for Integrated Care, ed. JM Gorman, M Cohen, JM Jacobson, P Volberding, S Letendre, Oxford University Press, 2017.
Gorman, Sara E. and Jack M. Gorman. “Everything You Need to Know about Conflicts of Interest.” Psychology Today (January 11, 2017), https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/denying-the-grave/201701/everything-you-need-know-about-conflicts-interest.
Gorman SE, Gorman JM. “Why We Shouldn’t Dismiss People Who Deny Facts.” TIME Magazine (September 6, 2016), http://time.com/4466692/denying-to-the-grave/.
Gorman, Sara E. and Jack M. Gorman. “Why Do People Buy Guns?” Psychology Today (August 17, 2016), https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/denying-the-grave/201608/why-do-people-buy-guns.
Gorman SE, Martinez JMM, Olson J. An assessment of HIV treatment outcomes among utilizers of semi-mobile clinics in rural Kenya. AIDS Care 2014; 27(5): 665-668.
Gorman S. How can we improve global infectious disease surveillance and prevent the next outbreak? Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2013; 45(12): 944-947.
Gorman, S. Legal and medical bases for granting asylum in the USA to women with female genital mutilation: a systematic review. The Lancet 2013;382: 15.
Gorman, Sara E. “A new approach to maternal mortality: the role of HIV in pregnancy.” International Journal of Women’s Health 2013;5: 271-4.
Gorman, Sara. “Is disease eradication always the right path?” PLOS Speaking of Medicine (March 20, 2013).
Gorman, Sara. “What can we learn from disease stigma’s long history?” PLOS Speaking of Medicine (November 27, 2012).
Gorman, Sara. “Culturally Sensitive Psychiatric Care for Refugees: A Reassessment.” Health and Human Rights (October 25 2012).
Gorman, Sara. “Why the United States Needs Better Confidentiality Laws for Minors with HIV/AIDS.” PLOS Speaking of Medicine (September 4, 2012).
Gorman, Sara. “Countering Online Misinformation About a COVID-19 Vaccine Using a Novel Protocol,” Society for General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting, 22 April 2021.
Gorman, Sara. “Behavioral Science and the Psychology of Healthcare Decision Making,” University Seminar, Columbia University Global Mental Health Program, New York, NY 12 February 2018.
Gorman, Sara. “Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds,” presentation at TEDMED 2017, Palm Springs, CA, 2 November 2017.
Gorman, Sara. “Maximizing Benefits of Pharmaceutical Therapy: Communication Skills for Optimal Patient Outcomes,” continuing education session at New Jersey Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, Atlantic City, NJ, 14 October 2017.
Gorman, Sara, “New Methods for Science Journalism: Taking Reader Psychology into Account,” panel presentation at Online News Association Conference, Dublin, Ireland, 19 May 2017.
RESEARCH AND EVALUATION EXPERIENCE
The Jed Foundation (JED), New York, NY
Director, Research and Knowledge Dissemination, April 2020-present
- Run large-scale research projects relating to mental health and suicide prevention among young adults, including BIPOC mental health, mental health of undergraduate student parents, mental health of LGBTQ+ youth
- Conduct original research on a variety of topics related to mental health and suicide prevention among young adults and publish findings in academic settings as well as for a general audience
- Represent the organization as a key thought leader, communicating research findings externally through public speaking engagements and publications (in both peer-reviewed journals and popular media)
- Oversee evaluation of JED’s major programs, including higher education programming (JED Campus) and high school programming (JED High School)
Harvard Department of Epidemiology, Boston, MA
Research Assistant to Dr. Michelle Williams, Chair, September 2012-September 2013
- Developed international course on mental health in Latin America in collaboration with Ministry of Health of Mexico
- Analyzed data & co-authored manuscript on sleep disorders among children with special needs in Chile
PUBLIC HEALTH STRATEGY AND PROGRAMS EXPERIENCE
The Jed Foundation (JED), New York, NY
Director, High School Programming, February 2018-April 2020
- Ran all aspects of a national emotional health and suicide prevention program for high school students
- Managed $1M annual budget and relationships with a diversified set of major donors
- Devised and oversee strategy for high school program to ensure adherence to best practice in the field
- Oversaw web and social media assets, resulting in quadrupled traffic to the website in 6 months
- Cultivated partnerships with a broad array of major institutions, including New York City Department of Education and WebMD
- Supervised development strategy and participate in writing and submission of new grants
- Created and implemented measurement and evaluation framework for the program
Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ
Global Public Health Project Manager, June 2015-February 2018
- Lead initiative on community mental health care in Rwanda, including multi-stakeholder partnerships and $1M budget
- Devise and govern strategy for the mental health program to ensure adherence to best public health practices
- Manage $3M annual budget and ensure achievement of outcomes for mental health program
- Design and implement monitoring & evaluation frameworks for the global health division’s programs
- Received Johnson & Johnson’s Standards of Leadership Award for outstanding business results in 201